Plastic & Paper Bag Facts & Why We need more Green Bags!!!
The statistics and information gathered on the effects on plastic bags on our environment is quite astounding. Here are some facts that are sure to make you say no thank you at the checkout line and carry your own reusable bags. Environmentally friendly green bags are fast becoming the most popular eco-conscious promotional product. They are inexpensive, extremely useful, and tremendous advertising vehicles. They are the natural solution to our plastic bag problems. Check out these facts. Regarding plastic bags, just say no thank you, and yes to green bags. Your company can take a leadership role in this initiative by using reusable bags as a promotional vehicle whenever possible. Call us today to customize your very own green bags.
- Four to five trillion plastic bags are manufactured each year.
- As many as one trillion [1,000,000,000,000] plastic bags are used annually worldwide and only 1% of these are recycled.
- Plastic bags are made from polyethylene, which is a thermoplastic made from crude oil. Chinese people use billions of
them and their ban on free plastic bags will save them over 37 million barrels of oil annually!
- A plastic bag takes 450 years to biodegrade. That's terrible for the environment. The earth needs more green bags.
- It takes 1,000 years for polyethylene bags to break down.
- As polyethylene breaks down, toxic substances leach into the soil and enter the food chain.
- Plastic bags account for 10% of all coastline debris in the U.S.
- Eight million pounds of plastic end up in our oceans killing our wildlife to the tune of approximately one billion seabirds
and mammals. These animals suffer a painful death. The plastic wraps around their intestines or they choke to death.
- Plastic bags choke landfills.
- If one out of five people in North America convert from plastic bags to reusable bags, it will save our environment
from the damage of 1.3 TRILLION plastic bags in our lifetime.
- Approx. 380 billion plastic bags are used in the United States every year. That's an astounding number. That should be the total number of reusable bags used.
- Approx. 100 billion of the 380 billion are plastic shopping bags. That is why reusable shopping bags play such an important role.
- The production of paper bags causes 70% more pollution than plastic. Plastic & paper bag facts like this one are important to make people aware of the problem.
- An estimated 4,000 barrels of oil a day are used for plastic bag manufacturing. This production would be unnecessary if we were using reusable bags because this manufacturing process isn't used for them.
- Only 1 to 2% of plastic bags in the USA end up getting recycled. Where do the remaining go? Landfills, parks, oceans, lakes, etc.....
- An average person will use over 350 plastic bags in a single year.
- Thousand of marine animals and more than 1 million birds die each year as a result of plastic pollution.
- In 1999, more than 14 million trees were cut down to produce 10 billion paper bags that were used by Americans. That is a tremendous waste in earth's resources.
- Over 500,000 bags are used globally every minute. We need to make a concerted effort to transfer that figure to the use of reusable shopping bags.
- The petroleum used in manufacturing 14 plastic bags could drive a car a mile.
- Disposable bags cost our cities up to 17 cents per bag for disposal. We could be spending that money on a lot better things.
- Paper and plastic bags contribute to global warming. Green bags ultimately prevent global warming.
- The average family accumulates 60 plastic bags in only four trips to the grocery store. Each family should bring along their reusable shopping bags.